Boba Fett v3.0 – 3D Print – Armor, Abdominal Plate, Seam Finishing & Adding Damage

Fixing The Seam…

After much research, I have found that it’s possible to “weld” 3D printed pieces together using filament and a Dremel. Let’s give it a try…

The theory is, you are melting the plastic together, like welding metal.

My first attempt on the back of the armor piece doesn’t look too bad, I guess?

Starting on the front.

Front finished.

Now, to smooth the bead down, I used a metal file to take the majority off.

Followed by a medium grit sandpaper…

Which exposed all of the gaps & low spots.

I added some glazing putty to the seam area.

Once the glazing putty was dry, I sanded it down with medium grit sandpaper.

Now, it’s time to add the physical damage. I printed out the painting templates to use as a placement guide.

Comparing the templates and actual screen shots I marked the damaged area with a pencil.

I then used my soldering iron to heat up the plastic to create the dents.

The results:

After more studying of the screen shots, I noticed the dents aren’t just smooth dents, like you see on most of the vac-formed armor. So, I decided to add a bit more detail to the dents to try and make it a bit more screen accurate.

More detail added.

Then, the entire piece got a thin coating of glazing putty. This should help smooth out the print lines, as well.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *