Helmet v3.0 – Front Reconstruction, Continued

Cleaning Up That Visor Area

After the original visor was removed, it made it very clear that the area where the new visor would need to go was about twice as thick as it should be. I originally tried using a nickle and an exacto knife to mark the correct thickness, but it wasn’t a very stable way to do it. So, I came up with a new solution…

I took a 16P nail, and used a hammer to flatten down the pointed end on an anvil. This made the point fairly sharp. I then used the hammer to curl the top over until it was the correct width for the visor area edge.

Using this “tool” I’m now able to apply enough pressure to cut a nice deep line into the edge. I can also now get into the tighter areas, where the nickle wouldn’t fit.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *