Scout Trooper – Flight Suit – Modding, Continued

Detail Work…

Making it more screen accurate…

Time to make the Flight Suit more “fitted”. The first thing I did was turn it inside out, and put it on. I used a piece of chalk to make some marks where I felt it needed to be brought in. Then. I placed safety pins along those marks and tried it on, again. I made a few adjustments with the safety pins, until it felt comfortable, and I was able to move around with it feeling like it “bound” me up too much.

Once I was happy with the safety pin placement, I used the chalk to make a line from the arm cuff, all the way down to the waist area.

The result…

I then put straight pins along the chalk line to keep the material together…

The coverall has a solid piece of material that runs around the waist area, that covers the seam where the upper and lower portions are joined. In order to keep this from bunching up, I’m going to try cutting it. Hope this isn’t a mistake…

Here goes nothing…

Waist band cut, and seam revealed.

I then transferred the chalk line to the other arm and side, pinned it, and cut the waist band…

Time to go under the needle…

First side sewn. I gave the waist band area some extra stitching to hopfully reinforce where the band was cut.

Other side sewn, and the waist band reinforced.

For the bottom part, I took a pair of my blue jeans that fit pretty well, and used those to kind of “eye ball” the sizing a little better.

After adjusting the safety pins, I used the chalk to make a line.

The result. For the very bottom, I actually brought it in a little more than my blue jeans, so that there will be less fabric to deal with inside the boots.

Legs marked, and pinned.

Time to sew…

One leg done…

Starting at the top of the other leg, I ran another stitch through the waist band area.

Other leg completed.

Now, adding the “zig zag” stitch to help keep the seam allowance from fraying…

“Zig zag” completed down one entire side…

Starting the “zig zag” for the other side.

“Zig zag” completed down the other side.

Time to trim off the excess fabric…

All excess material removed.

The amount that was removed.

Not really sure how I missed this, but there’s another pocket on one of the legs that I probably should have removed before I started working on the fitting…

Some quick work with the seam ripper, and the pocket has been removed.

Seam repinned.

Seam resewn.

Time to make the “mandarin collar.” This is one of the back pockets that was removed.

The collar piece needs to be 3 inches by 5 inches. So, I cut my rectangle to be 4 inches by 6 inches. This will give me 1/2 inch on each side to use for hemming.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.