Scout Trooper – Helmet – Visor – Modding, Continued

More Detail Work…

Making it more screen accurate…

After making the top edge of the Visor thicker, I’m still not happy with the shape of it when comparing it to a screen used Helmet. I think it needs a little bit more arc. I started by tracing out the existing shape onto thin cardboard…

This is the tracing of the top of the existing Visor edge…

I then sketched out a new arc…

Test fitting the new template.

The new template looks like it will work. So, I taped it into place.

The top of the Visor then got roughed up with a wood rasp. This will hopefully give the Bondo something to grab on to.

After the Bondo was applied, and it was beginning to dry, I tried to take off as much of the excess as I could. It dried REALLY fast, and was a bit tough to get it ground down.

Close, but still quite a ways to go…

After about an hour of sanding, I finally got it down around where it needs to be…

Now, time to tackle the bottom…

I used an exacto knife to score the surface where it will need to be ground down to.

When the cardboard template was removed, the line is clearly visible of where it needs to be cut down to.

I used my dremel with a sanding drum to make quick work of it. Basically, I just removed all of the work I recently did to extend the width of the Visor edge…

A coat of glazing putty was applied to the entire area.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.